April 28, 2013

What we say...

~ I have been stuck on a certain subject in my personal Bible Study time..."What we say". Sometimes, we look a a situation and the people involved and think (like my Dad used to say), "I wish they would act their age and not their shoe size!". But, our thoughts become words and words can heal or they can destroy. Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." And, Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." (The Message says, "Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit - you choose.) But the verse that I read today is Proverbs 26:20, "Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth." Which is pretty self explanatory. If you don't put wood on a fire, the fire will eventually go out. And, where there is no talebearer, the strife (disharmony, contention and/or discord) will cease to exist. So, just what is a talebearer? A talebearer is a gossip or a blabbermouth. Interesting to know is that a blabbermouth (according to the Merriam-Webster) is a person who talks too much. On a side note, Proverbs 6:16-19 says, "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren." The two that stick out and go along with Proverbs 26:20 are: "feet that be swift in running to mischief" and "he that soweth discord among the brethren." A talebearer is one who will take a piece of information and run with it. And usually, it is with the intent of causing some sort of uproar or issue out of it. Now, I am almost positive that any one of us have been guilty of this at least once in our lifetime. But, to me, these scriptures are a gentle reminder that I need "to be careful little mouth what you say". I want my words to be ones that help, edify and heal someone...not tear them down or seek to destroy them. For one, that is the Christian thing to do. For another, the negative words are something that God hates and are even an abomination to Him. (I once heard abomination explained like this: that it is something so sickening to God that it makes His stomach hurt.) My mind set today is like the song says: ♪♫ "My soul desire is to be used. And empty vessel longing to be filled by You. My soul desire is to serve You Lord. To do your perfect will. To work each day and build Your Kingdom, this is my soul desire."

No comments: